- Go to Trader Joe's
- Buy a box of frozen latkes
- Bring them home
- Heat a large saute pan on medium for 5 minutes
- Add oil (Canola plus a dash of evoo)
- Cook the whole box, 4 minutes per side, with a spatter-pan over the top
- Serve with homemade applesauce
Not as good as homemade. Not as messy or time-consuming either.
- Peel and roughly chop some apples.
- Toss them in a tupperware with a little water (or Calvados, if you have it) and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Put top on tupperware, leaving one corner open to vent steam.
- Nuke on high for a while (2 minutes for 1 apple, up to 10 minutes for several)
- Squish with a potato masher or pastry cutter until you reach the desired texture
There is NO call for cooking applesauce on the stove, unless you are the kind of benighted soul who does not have a microwave. It takes forever, requires stirring/attention lest they burn, and really does nothing for the flavor.
It may, however, give you an excuse to hang around in the kitchen smoking a pipe, in which case it is acceptable.